Fire Damage Prevention Tips for Your Stove and Microwave
Cooking at home is is a part of most people’s daily routine. However, according to a report published by the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the number one cause of starting fires at home. This fact is scary and can be demotivating for some people, pulling them away from enjoying making their favorite meals at home. But as much as one should be concerned about possible fire damage in kitchens, they shouldn’t let this probability stop them from making the best use of their space.
Preventing fire in kitchens is not only possible, but it can be ensured with only a little care. The following four tips can help you prevent your kitchen from fire damage.
Stay in Kitchen While Cooking
Every home cook knows that some particular dishes can take hours of prep and cooking time. But they don’t know that an estimated 40% of the time, home fires start due to unattended cooking equipment i.e., stove and microwaves. There is only one way to reduce the chances of this happening.; not leaving the kitchen while cooking or when you have something in the microwave. The time spent in the kitchen as the food gets cooked doesn’t have to be wasted either. One can always clean the kitchen, do the dishes, read a book, or watch something on their phone to pass the time.
Always Wear an Apron
There are hardly any people who wear an apron while cooking at home these days. In the past, people used to dress up at home even when lounging around, but the shift in fashion and especially in people’s outfits at home have deemed aprons unnecessary. However, aprons can be quite effective in the kitchen. Not only do they keep your clothes clean, but they also keep them close to your body. This way, you prevent your clothes from catching fire.
Use the Right Crockery
Preventing fire damage in the kitchen begins at the store. While investing in the right pans, pots, plates, and bowls is another discussion, make sure it is oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe. If you’re unsure . If it’s already present at home but the above mentioned important details are not known about it, then its best to not conduct experiments and buy the right equipment. Kitchen equipment may cost a lot, but they never cost more than human life.
Discard Kitchen Equipment Properly
Sometimes cooking materials are not discarded properly and become the source of fire damage in the kitchen. It’s best to read the manuals before disposing of any cooking equipment. If a manual is not available, then instructions can be found on the manufacturer’s website. In some states, local dealers also offer services where they dispose of used equipment safely.
Keep Combustibles at Distance from Heart Source
Another rule to follow when it comes to preventing fire damage in the kitchen is to keep other kitchen electronics and combustibles away from the stove and microwave. While one must take this precaution when cooking, following this rule can ensure extra safety even if food is not being cooked or heated. Storing equipment and combustibles in cabinets or shelves after use can also help, especially if there’s a shortage of counter space.
Don’t Experiment with Combustible Equipment
An electric kettle should only be used as an electric kettle. If it stops working for any reason, it should be discarded or taken to a repair shop. It should never be put on a stove top or a microwave to heat water in any case. Similarly, pans and pots that are not microwave-safe should not be used in the microwave. Also, dishes that are not dishwasher safe should not be placed in the dishwasher as the heat can melt utensils and cause a fire. Labels are placed on equipment for people to read and prevent possible fire damage in the kitchen.
Clean Stove Tops and Microwaves Regularly
Cleaning up after you’re done prepping food is an important step of cooking at home. This is more important because grease stuck on the stovetop or the inside of a microwave can become a reason for a house fire. Any spilled ingredients should be immediately cleaned once you’re done cooking. If the cooking time is longer, one can clean up the counters and stovetop as they go, making good use of their time and keeping their kitchen safe and hygienic.
Keep a Fire Extinguisher in Kitchen
It’s important to keep a fire extinguisher to control fires at home. It should be easily accessible, ideally placed in the kitchen since that is the one place most home fires start. Members of the household should also know how to correctly use a fire extinguisher so that anyone is able to control fire damage in the kitchen.
Fires in the kitchen mostly start due to misuse of stove and microwave. Taking care of them as well as of things around them can help prevent fire damage in the kitchen. However, accidents still happenMake sure to call a fire damage restoration service, like 911 Restoration of Washington DC if you experience any level of fire damage in the kitchen.